We were invited once again by Dr. Breon Derby, Associate Professor of Physical Education, to give a presentation to her class on inclusion. Our Adaptive Physical Education topic discussed how to modify the physical education program to meet the needs of a student with a disability. The APE teacher is encouraged to think outside the box, allowing a child with special needs to participate in age-appropriate physical educational activities.
It is always a pleasure getting to share our story about Kenadi with others and how to include children like her!
Some of the reflections completed by the students were:
· Kenadi’s story touched my heart strings
· There are absolutely no limits to what you can do
· Create opportunities for children of all abilities to come together
· With patience and the right modifications, all children are able
· Every individual deserves a chance to live the best life possible
· Kenadi Jean Weis and her foundation has left a lasting impact on me and I intend to follow in their footsteps and make a difference
We sincerely thank Professor Derby for inviting us to speak!